Sunday 22 March 2015

The FWC – Who are you? Blog Hop




The FWC – Who Are You? Blog Hop is a chance to visit the online homes of many of the talented members of the Collective and learn a little more about who we are. The Collective, has brought together the huge wealth of literary talent that resides in and around Frome, with the idea of pooling our knowledge and resources for the common good. So if you are a writer, poet, illustrator, editor or publisher your experience and guidance can be used to help other members reach their full potential.

I was kindly nominated by fellow member of The Nameless Writing Group, Piotr Swietlik. His brilliant entry can be found here: https://piotrkswietlik.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/the-fwc-who-are-you-blog-hop/

Frome Writers’ Collective is home to a range of writers, poets, illustrators, editors, and publishers. Which one best describes you?

Writer and Technical Illustrator. I have always enjoyed writing but started taking it seriously after writing a children’s story for my niece when she was very young. I have written countless short stories and six novels. The art of writing good poetry has always eluded me but I love writing humorous verse. My first novel was never intended for publication, just an excuse for me to prove that I could do it. I have since written 5 more each of which have been published through Feedaread.com. They are also available on Kindle and just about every other electronic format via Smashwords.com. For some reason, I seem to be drawn towards writing murder mysteries. I doubt if I will never make it into the Best Sellers list but I write for my own enjoyment and if other people get pleasure from reading it them that’s the icing on the cake.

What are you working on at the moment?
I have several projects on the go at the moment. My latest novel is a departure from my usual murder mystery and is also my first attempt at science fiction. As I am not used to this particular genre, it is set in the not too distant future so I don’t have to stretch my imagination too far. I am also working on a book of short stories which all have a common link. The link in that all of the stories are set on the overnight train from London to Edinburgh. The stories are about the people on the train and their reasons for making the journey. Some of the stories are light and cheerful and some are dark and thought provoking.

Jack London said that “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” Would you agree?
I have to admit that I have never had a problem getting inspiration. In fact the opposite is occasionally a problem for me as I have a particular notebook that is crammed with ideas for future projects. I have a notepad within easy reach most of the time and jot down thoughts and ideas as and when they materialise. Although I am currently working my Sci-Fi novel I am also plotting out the idea for another murder mystery. I love quotations and two of my novels, Splendour in the Grass and Glory in the Flower, were inspired by a poem written by William Wordsworth. My last book The Three Gates is a collection of three stories inspired by a quotation from the Bhagavad Gita or Hindu Book of the Dead which states that “Hell has three gates: Lust, Anger and Greed”. As long as there are fantastic quotes like these I will never find myself short of material and inspiration.
           
Staring at a blank page can be daunting. How do you get from brain to page?
A blank page is a rarity for me. Whenever I have an idea for a novel, the first thing I do is to write down a plan of how the story is going to pan out from start to finish. This is purely a guide as the story always changes as it unfolds and more often than not the finished article bears no resemblance to the original plan. The next step is to make a list of all the main characters in the novel. I then write a short biography of each character so that I can get to know them intimately. I want to know how they think, how they act and how they speak. I find this a great help later as it makes for a more believable characterisation and dialogue. By the time I get to this stage I can’t wait to get started.

You’ve finally stopped procrastinating and you’re ready to get creative or tackle that manuscript. Have you a particular place where you like to work?
In bed, on the settee, on a train or even on a beach, it doesn’t matter. If I have peace and quiet and a notepad and pencil I can write anywhere, at any time. Having said that, most of my writing is done sitting in front of my computer screen in the back bedroom that has been converted into the study. The greatest benefit of the PC is that I can use the internet for research, something that is not as easy from a sun lounger on the beach. I also have an arsenal of reference books close to hand, ranging from medical jurisprudence and toxicology to forensic science techniques and criminal profiling. Having a little bolthole where I can shut myself away and just get on with it is great, but the biggest problem I have is losing track of time. Not such a good thing when you finish writing at 2am and have work the next day. Roll in retirement!

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog interview. Next Sunday you can enjoy an interview with the very talented Nikki Copleston. To whet your appetite, here is a short biography that Nikki has compiled for us:

Born in Yeovil and brought up in Salisbury, I lived and worked in London for many years before moving ‘back home’ to the West Country in 2012, settling in Wells. A qualified librarian, I worked in public libraries in North London throughout my career. I got involved with the Frome Writers’ Collective through Alison Clink, whose writing classes I attended in Wells and Frome. 

My great grandfather and my grandfather were both policemen in Somerset – and my grandmother was one of the county’s first policewomen – so I’ve always been interested in crime and police procedure.   

My first crime novel, The Price of Silence, is set in Wiltshire and London, and features Detective Inspector Jeff Lincoln. It’s available from Amazon as an eBook.
As well as writing, I’m a keen photographer. 
I’m currently working on a follow- up to The Price of Silence - The Shame of Innocence.  
My blog is at www.nikkicopleston.com

Don’t forget to check out The FWB - Who Are You? Blog Hop interview on Sunday 29 March 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment