Saturday 14 March 2015

A Brief Encounter



This humourous verse was inspired by the late, great Stanley Holloway, the master of the comic monologue. Hope you like it :o)

A Brief Encounter


It started at four in the morning
On August the seventh last year
The noise was enough to awaken the dead,
It was more than a body could bear.

I awoke with a start to a musical row
That enveloped my room like a cloud.
Now I’m not averse to a nice tune or two
But not at that hour or that loud.

It seemed to be coming from just down the hall
From the next-door apartment in fact.
I decided I’d better go there and have words
But the key thing was exercise tact.

I threw back the duvet and climbed out of bed
And reached out to turn on the light.
I was steeling myself for what was to come
As I tied up my dressing-gown tight.

With much trepidation I opened the door
And raised myself up to look tall.
I took a deep breathe to steady my nerves
And purposefully strode down the hall.

As I drew near to the neighbouring flat
I detected a change in the beat
The musical tempo slowed down quite a bit
As a woman’s voice sang out so sweet.

“Hang on a mo!” came a voice from behind
As my hand raised to pound on the door.
I was frozen in situ, unable to move
Like my feet had been stuck to the floor.

Turning my head to the sound of the voice
I was stunned by the sight that I saw
As her hair rollers sparkled and shone down the hall
By the light from her half opened door.

Her pink fluffy slippers and white cotton socks,
The nightie that covered her knees.
This glamourous creature that melted my heart
Caused my immobile core to unfreeze.

With mouth opened wide, I lifted my gaze
And gasped as our eyes finally met.
It was Mabel McLaren from flat number two
A vision in pink winceyette.

“That’s Ella Fitzgerald,” she said with a smile
In a voice that was husky and gay.
The kind of a voice that you don’t have a choice
When you smoke forty Rothmans a day.

“It’s my favourite,” she added. “A beautiful song.”
And then to the beat she did sway.
And as this vision of loveliness rocked back and forth
I felt the cares of my world drift away.

I knew that our meeting out there in the hall
Was more than a matter of Chance.
So I hastily swallowed the lump in my throat
And said, “Mabel, would you care to dance?”

“My goodness,” she laughed as she took my embrace
And a trembling affected my knees
As I breathed in her perfume, a strong heady mix
Of pork scratching, stale fags and Fabreeze.

With my heart a flutter we waltzed down the hall
Swaying this way and that cross the floor
But as Ella stopped singing I looked at her face
And could see she was begging for more.

A Tango, a Foxtrot, American Smooth
Were all on the menu that night.
Even Craig from off Strictly would have been impressed
If he’d witnessed that wonderful sight.

She was light in my arms and her obvious charms
Were cushioned up tight to my chest.
As my fingers that lay in the small of her back
Traced the line down the seam of her vest.

For over an hour we jived and we swung
In time to that musical feast.
But in the cold light of morning, without any warning
Our orchestral accompaniment ceased.

We stood in the silence afraid to let go
Clinging so hard to each other.
I knew that this beauty had captured my heart
She reminds me so much of my mother.

I looked at this beautiful girl in my arms
All sweaty with rollers askew.
This was fate of a kind that had played to my hand
And I knew then what I had to do.

They say time and tide wait for no man although
Impulsiveness isn’t my life.
But I knew in that instant that she was the one
And said, “Mabel, will you be my wife?”

Well the look on her face made my heart skip a beat
And that second I have to confess
With the heave of her bosom and flush of her cheeks
I was sure that her answer was “Yes.”

Her kiss on my cheek was so soft and so sweet
She said, “Cyril, you flatter me so.
Though I’ve had a good time and you dance so divine.
I’m afraid that my answer is No.”

She said, “I admit though you dance like a God,
Married bliss for us both cannot be.
For you see my Dear Cyril, I can marry no man
Cos it’s women what do it for me.”

I was cut to the quick and feeling quite sick
As I staggered on back to my flat.
I confess that I wept as I lay on my bed
And snuggled up close to the cat.

These twelve months have gone by in the blink of an eye
But I vividly still can recall.
How I held in my arms the girl of my dreams
On that night that we danced down the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment